Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ancient cooking... in the microwave?!

I was Christmas shopping at TJ Maxx last week and I almost bought the weirdest-looking silicone contraption I'd ever seen. It looked intriguing, but I ended up putting it back because I was already going to spend too much on gifts for family and friends!

Now I regret that decision. You know me -- microwave cooking is a big hobby of mine and I'm still extremely curious about the device. I looked it up on Google and discovered that it's called a tagine (sometimes spelled tajine). This one is very affordable (around $20) and also gets some good reviews.



Tagines originated in Morocco and are used for cooking one-dish meals. I can't imagine anything more perfect for cooking in microwave ovens. And there's another benefit: silicone tagines are safe to use in the regular oven too! What a versatile tool.

I'm going to buy one from Amazon and will report back to you later. Maybe I'll even do a video.

TIP: Since it's made of silicone, the container will probably be floppy, so I plan to take the rotating glass plate out of the microwave and set the tagine on top, then use the glass plate to transfer the tagine in and out of the microwave.

Until I can try this out myself, here's a recipe that can be used with this tagine:

Moroccan Lamb Tagine

Ingredients:

2 cups chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 lb. boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
½ cup flour
1 tsp. ground cumin,
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. salt
1 can (10.5 oz) condensed beef broth
1 stick cinnamon
½ cup sherry
½ cup whole natural almonds, roasted*
1 cup pitted dates
¼ cup chopped parsley
Hot cooked rice or couscous, if desired

Directions:

Combine onions and garlic in tagine. Cover; microwave on high for 4 minutes.

Toss lamb with ¼ cup flour, cumin, ginger and salt; stir into onion mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Stir in beef broth and cinnamon stick. Cover; microwave on high for 10 minutes.

Whisk remaining ¼ cup flour with sherry; stir into stew mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10 minutes, stirring halfway through.

Stir in almonds, dates and parsley. Let stand several minutes to heat through. Serve over rice or couscous, if desired.

No comments: